One of the biggest new innovations and features that is set to come to iOS 14 is widgets, which will enable iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad users to see their apps in a different way.
For example, the Apple Podcasts app could have a widget that gives you a player view and lets you pause and resume your podcast or the Calendar app could show you a bigger view of what your day or month looks like.
Yes, these are all great ideas for iOS 14, but at the same time, there are a few third-party app widgets I am looking forward to seeing.
Please note that this is pending the idea that all of these apps have plans to make widgets.
- CARROT Weather: This is a big one for me because I use it almost every day. I’d love to see the current temperature and the Feels Like temperature outside without even having to open the app. It would also be great to see the hourly forecast and the chance of precipitation for that day.
- Deliveries: Obviously this would be good for all of the purchases I make online. Seems like a no-brainer for this one.
- Fantastical: Like with the Apple Calendar app, I am intrigued to see what the developers at Flexibits have planned for a widget for this app. I’d like to have a view of my calendar for that day or week, and have options to do either a day view or month view.
- Day One: A way to do journal entries from your iPhone or iPad straight from a widget would be great, or at least having little key features of the app to be easily accessible from a widget could be useful for some users.
- Google Analytics (or WordPress): I’ve used both of these websites and apps in the last year to manage web traffic for Appleosophy. It would be nice to have a way for me to just see what the daily traffic is through a widget in either of the apps.
- CARROT To-Do: For my last app in this list, I’ll say that I use this app a lot for grocery shopping and keeping a list of the food I need and want for the upcoming week. While I usually get most of everything on the list, it would be a lot better if I could find a way to add more to my list without opening the app.
Do you think there are any that I missed? Let us know on Twitter at @appleosophy.