The Safari 12 update is recommended for all macOS High Sierra users and contains improvements to privacy, compatibility, and security. This update:
- Adds the ability to view website icons in tabs
- Automatically suggests and fills a strong, unique password when creating an account or changing a password
- Flags reused passwords in Safari Preferences
- Adds support for allowing or blocking pop-ups on specific websites
- Prevents embedded content and social media buttons from tracking cross-site browsing without permission.
- Suppresses ad retargeting by reducing advertisers’ ability to identify Mac devices uniquely
- Automatically turns off Safari extensions that negatively impact browsing performance
- Improves security by only supporting legacy Safari Extensions that have been reviewed by Apple
- Improves security by discontinuing support for most NPAPI plug-ins
This update also includes updates security, outlined in an Apple support document on the security content of Safari 12.