Apple has released iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4, as the fourth major update to the operating system since the original release.
iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 can be downloaded from Settings > General > Software Update.
iOS 14.4 includes a handful of new features along with bug fixes, they include the ability to read smaller QR codes, device type for third party bluetooth devices, for optimum performance and headphone audio level measurements along with notifications for the iPhone 12 if the camera system is replaced or cannot be confirmed as genuine.
iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 now allow you to change the device type for third party bluetooth devices for optimum performance and headphone audio level measurements. Here is how you can do it:
- Settings > Bluetooth
- Tap (i) next to the device
- Tap Device Type
- Pick one of the following options, if not correct
You can read Apple’s full release notes below:
iOS 14.4 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:
– Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
– Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
– Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
This release also fixes the following issues:
– Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
– Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
– Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
– The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
– Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
– Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen
Time To Walk has been added for Fitness+ subscribers as a guided audio experience for walk workouts, with guests inspiring users with stories.
iOS 14.4 adds new U1 functionality to the HomePod Mini when paired with the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models. These include a new UI, haptics and audible feedback when handing off to the HomePod Mini.
Along with the release of iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4, Apple has released tvOS 14.4, watchOS 7.3, and HomePod Software 14.4. There is no date for when macOS Big Sur 11.2 will be available.