It was announced today by Warner Media that HBO Max is getting quite the update as we near the end of the summer.
When HBO Max was first launched, the streaming service was known to have quite the number of bugs and just was not all that user-friendly. Over the past year, Warner Media has been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work in order to make sure the app functions well and is appealing to all demographics.
The new features coming to its iPhone and iPad apps are ones that users of the service have been asking for. They are said to be the following:
- Shuffle button functionality expansion to mobile devices. Previously only available on the desktop and CTV experiences, this feature gives users the ability to randomize the first episode that plays for select series on the platform.
- SharePlay support for iPhone and iPad users (U.S. only): Subscribers in the U.S. with an ad-free plan and an iPhone or iPad can now use SharePlay to watch their favorite HBO Max programs in sync with friends and family while on a FaceTime call.
- A dedicated home for downloaded content with improved performance and stability
- Tablet support for both landscape and portrait orientations
- An enhanced screen reader experience with improved navigation elements and functionality
- The ability to split screens with other apps on any behavior-supported mobile device
- Updated, intuitive navigation
- A refined design and visual styling to let content shine
- Chromecast stability improvements
With HBO Max getting SharePlay functionality, it also means that users will be able to watch content with their friends and family through FaceTime.
Kamyar Keshmiri, SVP, Product Design at Warner Bros. Discovery Streaming said these new changes are going to make the app so much better for its users.
“We are delighted to introduce the revamped HBO Max mobile and desktop apps,” he said. “The changes give our users more of the features they care most about, along with improved navigation and a more immersive canvas for storytelling, helping them click play on their favorite content faster and with less friction.”
HBO Max currently starts at $9.99 a month for its ad-supported plan and $14.99 a month for its ad-free tier.
What are your thoughts on the new functions and features of HBO Max? Comment below or let us know on Twitter at @appleosophy.