As of last week, VLC Media Player is now one of the newest apps that had enabled support for CarPlay functionality.
VLC is one of the most prominent open-source video players on the market and now its app gives users access to audio files the user has put on their iOS app and lets them listen to them via CarPlay.
After opening the app on CarPlay, users can see all of the audio files they are able to play in their vehicle from it. This is most notable y with music files, but can be used in the vehicle as long as it is an audio file. Users can create and maintain playlists too.
Image courtesy of ZDNET
This update came in version 3.4.0 of the app and comes with the following updates:
- Add new audio playback UI
- Add support for CarPlay
- Add views for artists, albums and episodes to the media library
- Add more options to sort the media library
- Add support for bookmarks
- Add a way to contact us through the About dialog
- Improve shuffle algorithm for playback
- Indicate currently playing media in library
- Major update to internal event handling
- Performance improvements
- Add Handoff and Ethernet support for WiFi Sharing
- Add option to configure seek duration
- Rewritten OneDrive support
- Updated UPnP support
- Add information screens for complex settings
- Remove the ‘variable jump duration’ feature
- Add custom seek duration options
- Show media dimensions in library screen
- Add optional display of album track numbers to library screen
- Videos can be played as audio-only now
- Improve login experience to box.com
- Major adaptive streaming update, notably for multiple timelies and webvtt
- Add support for DVBSub inside MKV
- Fix flac audio quality regression
- Fix some flac files that could not be played
- Improve seeking in Ogg and fragmented MP4 files
- Fix styling issues with subs tx3g (mp4) tracks
- Fix playback of live AV1 streams
- Fix crashes with VP9 streams
Handoff is another feature that was added to the VLC Media Player app that allows for users to switch from CarPlay to an iPhone, iPad, etc., in a much easier way than before.
VLC Media Player’s app was updated the same week that Instapaper gained CarPlay support as well.
What are your thoughts on this update for VLC Media Player? Comment below or let us know on Twitter at @appleosophy.