Even though there are many streaming services out there with plenty of TV shows on them, there is still value in simply owning that show or movie digitally or physically, even if it is in the name of not wanting to pay for yet another streaming service.
Ever since around 2020, I have been building up my catalog of TV shows on my Apple TV account and playing them on my iPad Air fifth generation most nights as I go to bed.
Here are some of my favorites I have purchased. Also, most of these will be complete series of shows:
- “The Office”: A few years ago, I was able to get the complete series of this show, all nine seasons, for just $29.99 thanks to a holiday season sale! Ever since I purchased it, it has allowed me to not only own it digitally, but not be reliant on Peacock to stream it from.
- “The Big Bang Theory”: This was a show that I grew up watching as a kid and a show where I do currently own all 12 seasons of it digitally and physically. Once again, this is a show that I watch frequently and one that never tires me.
- “Sports Night”: It was a short-lived Aaron Sorkin series that was great for its time and certainly a two-season show I’m happy to own. However, I will say that if possible, ABC (its original network), Disney, or someone needs to look into remastering it to 16:9.
- “Seinfeld”: I bought this one earlier this year after I found out that my brother was getting rid of his Netflix subscription. Owning this series digitally is pretty nice since the comedy and humor in it is truly one of a kind, and a series I believe is one of the best of all-time.
- 11th Doctor era of “Doctor Who”: While I may own it on physical DVD, it’s not full HD quality and by viewing it this way, it eliminates the issue of having to go through disc after disc and changing them out. I know it sounds lazy, but that is my problem when it comes to that.
I do understand the purpose of owning any of these TV shows on discs since once you buy it, you own it, whereas if you buy it digitally, it can be removed by the service itself and then you’re of it and your money.
If you are looking to stream a series right now and don’t want to sign up for a streaming service itself, buying even just one of these is a good choice.
What are your thoughts on my purchases and picks? Comment below or let us know on Twitter at @appleosophy.