Yesterday, after Apple’s “Wonderlust” event featuring Apple’s latest announcements including the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, Apple Watch Series 9, and Apple Watch Ultra, Apple released a PDF document listing all the features of iOS 17. With the release of iOS 17 right around the corner, Apple has shared even more iOS 17 features that are set to come to the iPhone in a software update later this year in the list, perhaps with iOS 17.1 or iOS 17.2.
Here are three features that Apple announced at WWDC 2023, but will only be available later this year:
1. Journal App: Apple says that the Journal App uses on-device machine learning and personalized suggestions to inspire users to make a journal entry on the app. The suggestions are based on recent activity, photos, people, places, workouts, and more, and also features scheduled notifications.
2. AirDrop over Internet: Ever started a transfer to a friend and waited for a long time for it to complete? With AirDrop over Internet, you can simply initiate the transfer, which will automatically continue even if either of you go out of range with the help of the internet. Do note that both the sender and the receiver must be signed into an iCloud account.
3. Collaborative Apple Music Playlists: You will soon be able to invite other Apple Music users to join a collaborative playlist, in which all members can add, reorder, and remove songs from the playlist.
In addition to these features, the PDF document shared by Apple lists the following new features coming later this year:
- Proximity Apple ID sign-in: Signing in to set up a device is now easier than ever. Simply bring an existing signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad into proximity, pair the devices by scanning the particle cloud, and you’re signed in automatically.
- Stickers: The new Stickers experience provides you with a single home for all your stickers including Live Stickers, Memoji, Animoji, emoji stickers, and any third-party sticker packs you’ve downloaded with the ability to react to a message with any sticker through the plus button or directly through the Tapback menu.
- Catch-up arrow: Easily jump to your first unread message in a group conversation by tapping the arrow visible in the top-right corner.
- Messages in iCloud Improvements: Enabling Messages in iCloud will sync Messages settings such as Text Message Forwarding, Send & Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.
- Apple News widget: Play or pause a podcast or News+ audio story.
- Favorite Songs playlist: Quickly get back to your favorite songs in this new playlist. Find the Favorite Songs playlist in your Library or just ask Siri.
- Even more to favorite: Select your favorite songs, albums, playlists, and artists. Your favorite music is automatically added to your Library and improves your recommendations.
- Intelligent form detection for PDFs: Fillable documents and forms can now be automatically identified across the system, like in Files, Mail, or scanned documents.
- Enhanced AutoFill: Populate information such as names and addresses on forms even faster, as powerful on-device language models identify fillable fields and enable AutoFill.
- Audio Focus in Fitness+: Prioritize the volume of either the music or the trainers’ voices so that you hear more of whatever is most important to you.
iOS 17.0 will be released for iPhone Xs and later on September 18th with a plethora of new changes and refinements across the system such as NameDrop, StandBy, Live Voicemail, and more. Not sure if your iPhone is supported? You can find the list of supported devices here.
We can expect iOS 17.1 to be publicly available in October, and iOS 17.2 to be released in November/December of this year. Which feature are you most excited about? Let us know down in the comments or tweet/post to us at @appleosophy! Be sure to download the Appleosophy App from the App Store or visit our website to stay updated with the latest Apple News!