Back in May 2023, Apple announced that Final Cut Pro would be coming to the iPad after several years of anticipation. Now that Final Cut Pro has been out for the iPad, many professional video editors have pointed out the limitations found in the iPad version compared to the Mac version, most notably the keyboard shortcuts for quicker access to common actions. This shouldn’t come as a surprise as you’d probably expect such limitations going into the first version of any software.
Now, Apple has pushed out the next major update for the iPad version of Final Cut Pro on the App Store to further address those complaints as well as fix existing bugs found in the original release.
Change Notes, according to the App Store, include:
- Turn snapping on or off using the keyboard shortcut N.
- Move the playhead backward or forward 10 frames using the keyboard shortcuts Shift-Left Arrow and Shift-Right Arrow.
- Show info for browser clips using the keyboard shortcut Control-I.
- Turn skimming on or off using the keyboard shortcut S.
- Turn audio skimming on or off using the keyboard shortcut Shift-S.
- Split and switch multicam clip angles using the keyboard shortcuts 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- Show or hide the jog wheel using the keyboard shortcut Control-Shift-W; expand or collapse it using Control-W.
- Switch the jog wheel between playhead mode and nudge mode using the keyboard shortcut Shift-W.
- Resolves an issue with custom fonts not appearing in the inspector.
- Fixes bugs that improve overall stability and performance.
You can download the update for free on the App Store. Final Cut Pro for iPad is free to download for new users. They will get one month free when using the app for the first time; however, it will require either a monthly ($4.99/mo.) or yearly ($49.99/yr.) subscription to continue using this app. Final Cut Pro for iPad requires an iPad model with an M1 chip or later, specifically any of the models below:
- iPad Air (5th generation)
- iPad Pro (11-inch) (3rd generation or later)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (5th generation or later)
Additionally, Apple also rolled out updates to these apps for the Mac:
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro